Search
Close this search box.

Carmelite Sisters

1951 Six sisters from Cleveland Carmel

Carmel of the Holy Family, Cleveland Heights, OH

We are thrilled to be celebrating the 100th anniversary of our foundation in Cleveland this year!

Bishop Joseph Schrembs of the Cleveland Diocese in 1923 invited six members of the St. Louis Carmel to found a monastery.  A house was purchased on Lakeview Road; the first Mass was celebrated there on May 16, 1923.  So on May 16 of this year, we also joyfully celebrated with Mass, special Divine Offices, and a festive dinner.

We did not celebrate at the house on Lakeview, however.  We’ve had four relocations since then and now live in our 112-year-old “new” home in Cleveland Heights, a Victorian beauty complete with a park-like atmosphere and gorgeous gardens.  Not only have we relocated many times, but we’ve also aided in two other foundations, sending 6 nuns to Nairobi, Africa, in 1951 and 4 nuns to St. Agatha, Ontario, Canada, in 1952.

In our chapel after our 100th anniversary liturgy:  Srs. Bernadette, Maria, Barb, and Donna

Subscribe

Stay up to date on all of WRAC’s news and updates by subscribing to the monthly newsletter.